Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The First Dishwasher


The First Ever Dishwasher was created by Josephine Cochran in Shelbyville, Illinois in 1886. She was tired of her servants cracking her China so she decided to create the Dishwasher to do the dishes instead! She designed the dishwasher in her wooden shed there were wire holders for plates, cups or saucers which were then placed in a copper boiler. A motor turned the barrel as the hot soapy water splashed and cleaned the dishes. She was founded by a firm who eventually led her to Kitchen Aid and her updated machine was given plumbing in the late 1920's and drying elements in the 1940's. In the 1970's the dishwasher became a common household appliance. Today dishwashers are used all over the world and we have Mrs.Cochran to thank for not having to hand wash piles of dishes!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10363799

3 comments:

  1. Thank goodness! All it takes is one innovative idea and the means to manufacture the item to be successful. I must say though, Josephine must have had a lot of time on her hands to build the dishwasher to prevent her servants from cracking her china!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks goodness indeed! Growing up not ever knowing what it is like to not have a dishwasher, my mother calls me spoiled. I throw everything into the dishwasher, the thought of washing by hands doesn't please me. I find it funny that Josephine invented the dishwasher to ensure the safty of her china, but that is something I was never allowed to put into the dishwasher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to find out a woman created the dishwasher due to careless servants. This goes to show a great invention was created by a woman and now helpful in society. Without the dishwasher, society would be slowed down because of the time it takes to handwash dishes. Josephine was very intelligent to be able to create the art and design of the dishwasher. She had to design holders for the dishes and create a motor so water could clean the dishes.

    I cannot imagine life without dishwashers now. I had no idea it was created by a woman because of her servants breaking her china. This article is very interesting and I learned a lot from it. I knew attempts were made to make a dishwasher in the mid 1800's, but I did not know the whole story and who actually created it.

    ReplyDelete